View Single Post
Unread 19 Apr 2006, 12:31   #8
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: New Fast Dump Processing Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Flatfile will always be faster than a database application if you write the code right.
Jup, very much so. My own tools did use a packed binary data format stored in files and using a 512MB Ram Server meant it could have the whole 45000 ticks of a speedgame in memory or alternatively a whole round of PA with 188000 planets. As it allowed to create graphic charts of up to 9/10 different planets/galaxies/clusters showing roid/score growth in one dynamic chart on sometimes low-end hardware (300mhz servers), it needed to quickly access all data for some of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
With that said, the main bottleneck on our bot's speed is the IRC connection, which it throttles pretty heavily to avoid getting thrown off. I've occasionally run into problems when designing queries, but with the right indexes and structurings it's not a big deal.
Thats why i gave up ordinary "query" connections to my old irc-bot interface. On networks like netgamers where it wasnt possible to run it as "service", i just told people to use the DCC chat interface instead. The flood restrictions on many irc networks are just too strict otherwise.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote