View Single Post
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 14:03   #25
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Neural Network Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Then all chatbots are not implemented correctly, because the ones I tried just dive into meaningless conversations even though they probably had millions of conversations.
They vary, and unfortunately most only respond to certain patterns of speech. The thing you must remember is that having millions of conversations actually degrades the performance of the bot because the resultant knowledge it retains will be an average of all the people it has spoken too. What makes this worse is that the general level of english and grammer used across the internet is quite low, so if millions of people are putting in bad english then you'll only get bad english in return.

Perhaps one of the oldest chatbots a dos based one by the name of siggy will start off basic, but develop its vocaulary the more you talk to it, and I just tried the Intellibuddy which made conversation with me concerning topics that other people had clearly been speaking with it.

Incidently, with a bit of persistance and the right line of questioning I finally got Intellibuddy Star to admit she wanted sex with me \o/

Quote:
I don't think a neural network would work for a publically accessible chatbot anyway. The neural network would rewire during a conversation to lay the appropiate links to create a context. Having the chatbot chat to multiple people at the same time would be like you talking to multiple people at the same time. Either that, or you need to create a seperate instance for every chatter, but that would be useless for learning purposes as I don't believe there's no way to merge two neural networks and get a desired result, as a chatbot's neural network would be so complex (assuming it's actually any good) for it to be merged and get a desired result.
Actually I don't think it would be a problem at all, you're only thnking that because that's how you percieve your surrounding environment. Why should a virtual ai be constrained by the same limitations as a human? For starters a computer is much more capable of multitasking than we are. In addition to that our own brains or neural networks are quite adaptive, and are capable of taking on tasks that were outside of our normal operation. Imagine a situation in which a human was born with two heads that shared the same brain, or perhaps they simply grew a third or fourth fully functioning ear, chances are they would have no problem at all adapting themselves to handle the additional input from these extra appendages. If you were to see that video I offered you there are many cases shown much like this. One of the first parts of the documentry concern a man who after loses one of his arms has a radical rewiring of his neural pathways. His brain remaps the areas that give feeling in his missing hand to another area that normally deals with feeling from his cheek. The end result is that whenever he touchs or strokes his cheek he can feel it moving across the surface of his missing hand.

oh and wu_trax, probably a system driven by fuzzy logic would yield a simular result but not as difficult to implement. fuzzy logic deals with objects that belong to many groups, but focus is on the degree of membership it has to a particular group.