View Single Post
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 15:47   #15
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Is this the end of those prerelease dvd-rips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Idi, it took my XP2000+ about 24 hours to DivX encode one of our home-made DVDs (yes, we were daft enough to lose the source DV footage).
Admittedly that was with all the settings rammed up to high quality using the 5.1 Pro codec, and it was a 2-pass encode (so a 'standard' 1-pass would have taken about 12 hours), but it was only a 1 hour film.
The actual process of ripping (i.e. reading DVD data, saving them to disk [.vob and .ifo files]) only takes about 15mins (for roughly 6GB, which can be more then a normal 90min film).

Wow, 24hours? Got some settings wrong?
Ok, you can put motion estimate search etc to very high (= high quality / very slow), and 2pass takes twice as long, sure.
But I seriously doubt you can't get the same effect in less time!
I got an Athlon 1200Mhz, and 12hours is about what I need.

If you want high quality, you set the bitrate high enough anyway, and motion estimate doesn't really make a huge difference then anymore.

Also, you might wanna add more keyframes. (Nice effect: seeking becomes a lot more comfortable, too).

And if you want highest quality, you can use high CONSTANT bitrate (i.e. 6 or 8mbps) single pass encoding anyway.
Keep in mind, DV has 25mbps or even 30...

So, to rip a DVD, you need to actually "have" it (readable) for less than half an hour.
Imagine how much this "protection" might work...