View Single Post
Unread 11 May 2006, 11:47   #12
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: A betting system to encourage helping newbies (and alliance/galmates!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
It would probably be better to either to limit it to 'higher than current highest rank'. So if I've been up to rank 2 (after protection, I guess), the 'worst' anyone could bet on for me would be rank 1. Another way to limit it would be to make brackets. Top100, top200, top500 etc.
This approach is much better than what you initially said, as it removes the immediate score/resources gain that anyone who places a bet can achieve, and actually makes the system worthwhile.

Quote:
The return would be very small.
iirc, you said that the 'gain' (as in the resource gain, not the potential increase in playerbase gain) was the player's score. Whilst you said that was an example, what i was mostly worried about was people going around placing (for example) 50 bets on 50 different newbies to raise in rank by 1. Whilst their score might be small, 50 * 100k score of resources per tick is significant, and much more so if it could be maintained over a long time (though, granted, the proportion of an increase this would have over time would fall, it would still be substantial).

Having said all that, your earlier comment (quoted above) effectively reduces the instances of that happening significantly.

Quote:
I dislike the idea that I'm unable to help someone just because they're not in my galaxy. That's just me though.
Ah, but people like you and me have been helping others throughout the rounds - indeed most of the people we help arent in our galaxy! You do it through hosting/contributing to the PA Wiki and actively participating on these boards, whilst i try to write help guides and so on and get them as widely distributed as possible. Just because we dont receive a direct finanical reward because of it doesnt mean we cant keep doing it...
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote