View Single Post
Unread 8 Oct 2004, 21:06   #30
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Opinions wanted on helping friend buy a PC tower.

Quick point to make, $2.21 = 1 quid for those wanting to do conversion rates.

Yah as I said NB3, We are working to a very tight (he really can't afford a pc but he's got good credit and intends to work it off) budget, so where it's preferrable, if it's something we can upgrade later without incurring any costs too much we'll do that.

As for extra RAM, Don't worry about it, buy more later if neccessary when have cash.

As for my nVidia vs ATI argument, while they are both equally involved in DirectX development I've been hearing a lot of problems with patch support from software companies for ATI cards over nVidia cards cause nVidia send in people to beta test the software where as ATI doesn't, hence my preference, I know ATI is really powerful, I am just familiar with people having to wait on the software companies releasing patches for ATI problems rather than nVidia, then again it might be a case of personal experience, however I am waivering towards ATI purely for cost reasons now that we are debating this(I've only ever used VooDoo/nVidia so this is unexplored territory for me).

As for the drives, will prolly now settle on just a cd rw for now and get the dvd later as an optional to help the cost side out, thanks for your input there about not bothering with combo.

Definately Audigy or bust now thanks for the heads up there.

Seeing as I'm hearing not much in the news of 64 bit being overly needed in the immediate future I'm going to stick to the 2.8 h.thread P4.

I'm interested in the mobo Inferno has suggested but I am concerned about costs, I've only used ASUS before and had no problems with them, hence I'm leaning towards the ASUS board but if I can hear reccomendations for this other board and furthermore if it's better priced in retailers around here, I may well change opinion.

Finally with regards to ATI radeons, is the minimum I'm looking for 9600? or will a 9200 do?
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote