View Single Post
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 19:12   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Has this been tried for weather forecasting?

Hmmmm, I thought they already used the data collected over the past 100 years to predict the weather.
Something along the lines of "Oh, high and low pressure here and there, tempuratures like that, about the same as on the 20th of Februari in 1990, and it rained the day after, so we predict rain for tomorrow".
Roughly said...

Ok, it's not learning, but comparing.

But anyway, I don't think this learning thing exists because of the huge amounts of data that needs to be processed, and the lack thereof in certain areas. The weather system is very complex and the condictions around the entire globe influence the weather on a single spot. Even if you knew the weather conditions of every place on the planet, their interactions, how they influence eachother, are in my opinion too complex to be defined by a set of finite rules.