View Single Post
Unread 16 Aug 2003, 08:44   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Beginning programming question

Quote:
Originally posted by W
If not, I suggest you start with basic. Only language where the "hello world" example actually has <20 chars and one line
What about Perl? Or PHP?

print "Hello World";

I'm not a programmer per se, but I'd start with PHP or Perl if I was beginning now. The progression to C is pretty immediate, and you can get results within a few minutes, not days. Plus the community support is massive, with every idiot being able to offer some PHP guidance. Plus the online PHP manual is probably the best I've seen.

Basic is cool, but I'm not sure how live the development/support community is, plus from what I can recall a lot of tutorials teach real bad habits.

It obviously depends on what you're going to be doing. What are your first projects going to be? Games? Database GUIs? Command Line chat programs?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote