View Single Post
Unread 11 Aug 2014, 11:30   #6
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough
Re: Changes to traveltime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post

1. It's fairly logical - bigger ships have bigger engines after all, can hold more shit.
2. It allows stat makers to have FI and BS shoot at each other, meaning that the usual unnatural feeling strain that is put on the FRDE class is removed and stats can be a lot more logically balanced.
3. FI/CO have all the advantages now. They have quickest ETA, need the least research, are often (always?) xan/cat (cloak/emp), can attack the earliest, and I'm sure there's a few more.

I should probably explain #2 briefly.

For stats, FRDE is often a bit of a mess. This is because of FI targeting being limited to CO, FR, DE (because FI targeting FI can be ugly). CO, CR and BS have the same problem. FR and DE then have the problem that between them they ALWAYS need to target FI, CO, CR, BS - and can hardly ever target each other.

This is an odd factor in statmaking, because FI and CO often target each other, and so do CR and BS. Making FRDE the odd man out. In my humble opinion, this is very limiting and often causes balancing problems when making stats. Example: suppose FR targets FI CR, and DE targets CO BS, then BS NORMALLY only has DE and CR left as possible targets (I'm exploring a "support class" set, but it's proving very difficult to balance).