Thread: Pa api
View Single Post
Unread 1 Feb 2010, 15:45   #18
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Pa api

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
he should know, he's learnt from doing it this way in manager league. We have moved several things off pages into libraries, and any new features are in libraries. We just don't have the resources to do a complete recode and retest just to change the code paradigm.
By libraries, I am going to guess you mean pushing the code into the .pm lib-files..The nasty thing about putting logic in there is that the webserver needs to be restarted everytime you make a change. The good part is of course the smaller footprint and the benefit of shared memory.

I decided the hassle wasn't worth it, so I went for the api.pl version in stead.

Such an api-thing makes it fairly trivial to make a mobile interface as well, as you can check on the hostname and provide different output based on that...So a virtual host of wap.planetarion.com can thus use the same logic but output a more mobile output, ahilw for instance api.planetarion.com produce it's own kind of output. etc...
game.planetarion.com could just output what it does today ofc...

Anyway, I am not going into the bot-debate here, as that's a whole different can of worms. Maybe the fact that a bot can outplay human players in PA is more a weakness in the game-concept though, I dunno. (-:
I mean, if it is about auto-recall, running away with fleets, auto-scanning incs etc, surely someone being the leader of an entire planet could have some peons doing such work for him while he sleeps
then again, changing the gameplay so much would make it not.quite.planetarion.com I guess....

Best of luck Apocco, even if it looks like you're not going down this path.
(-: