View Single Post
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 11:02   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Who here remembers playing Elite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Pfft, they were easy. You either matched your rotation (straightforward if you didn't have the auto-center on) or got close to it, waited for it to be at a similar alignment to you and bursted forward.
I feel I should point out that I wasn't playing on the amiga or those strange RiscOS acorn thingies. No no, I was playing on an Amstrad CPC 464.

Which took 15 minutes to load the game off tape.

Which ran at a mighty 3Mhz.

Which meant the game ran at an equally impressive 3 frames per second, and vector graphics only so no solid objects.

These factors made for numerous frustrations. Firstly, it was often hard to tell which side of the space station was the front and which was the back, as you could see straight through it (it's only lines, remember) so you could see the "letterbox" from either side. This lead to many annoying attempts to dock with the back of the spacestation, with hilarious results.
Next, you'd be amazed how hard combat is at 3 frames per second.
Finally, saving was a nightmare, as not only did you have to try not to record over any of your previous games on the tape, it was then pretty much a matter of luck as to whether you could find it again when you wanted to load it.

Ahh, old computers.