View Single Post
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 09:03   #30
Kåre Willoch

Kåre Willoch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
I doubt that, but even if it were true that would make this thread even sillier (if that's possible). If both Republicans and Democrats are right-wing, then FOX media isn't an outlier at all--it's mainstream! FOX can hardly be responsible for turning (or trying to turn) the country to the right if it was solidly there to begin with.

And I touched on a related issue above. It's true that the political spectrum isn't as broad in the US, but if it were really true that Democrats = Republicans then why would any of you lot even care that Bush beat Gore (or whatever spin you want to put on it)? If you think American politics is homogeneous, fine; but then don't complain when the Republicans beat the Democrats--you can't have it both ways.

I've seen all those angles in the American press (we call them spins). Whether or not they're "well covered" depends on your political viewpoint I guess.
-----
Fox is responsible for trying to keep up the illusion of choice, the illusion of democracy, where in fact you have a state ruled by those who get the biggest contributions from the rich. Fox has one thing in common with the republicans and the democrats, it is owned by the rich. While democrats might have slightly better policies for the internal affairs of the US, their foreign policy has been just as bad. I prefer Bush who is seen as what he is, to Clinton, who smiles and gets away with anything (and no I'm not thinking of little miss Lewinsky). Bombing a country's only medicine factory(it can produce bio-weapons only it doesn't.), and at the same time to be seen as liberal and peace-loving, quite an achievement....

Your point that you've seen the angles I mentioned is perfectly valid. However you've not seen them seriously discussed. Views outside the condoned views are presented, but only in small portions, and not as the screaming repeated propaganda, which is in fact on the "playlist" of all networks. It was obvious even over here, before the Iraq war, when the Bush administration just repeated itself over and over, kept on telling the same old lies, till eventually in the US they were believed. In europe people have a more free press, and did not fall for the trick of repetition, most countries had over 50% of the people against going to war.

People don't have time to read everything in every newspaper, or watch the news every day. So what they get is the headlines, over and over, and the headlines and main stories are what controls the average person and his views of issues taken up for discussion. That is why a press controlled by the rich, and heavily influenced by government think tanks, and in general, government propaganda, is dangerous. It can take the masses, and convince them that fighting Iraq for instance, is necessary, because Iraq was a threat to the free world.... LOL... Not a laughing matter anymore though.. Then when the reasons they gave for fighting, are found out as lies, the demonising of the enemy has worked so well, that people still support the illegal war.