Thread: Salvage change
View Single Post
Unread 11 Dec 2010, 08:26   #9
cbk100

cbk100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Exciting end to round??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Well, given that rank is based 100% on score, can you tell me what difference making the formalae reflect rank rather than score is going to make?
Well, the most simple answer would be that it also could be based on score too. I was pretty much just brainstorming. How the specifics should be could be very different from what I initially suggested. I kinda just wanted to start a debate.

There are a few things you (or at least I) would want the salvage system to accomplish.

1. #1 planet can get no salvage:
To achieve this you can either create a function that is a function of rank or of score. If it's a function of rank then when you substitute the rank 1 into the formula it will return 0. If you want it to be a function of score I guess one could somewhere in the formula multiply by something like (1-"your score"/"#1 rank score").

2. Other top planets gain close to no salvage:
Either a function of score or rank can achieve this.

3. low rank ppl obtain high salvage:
In the beginning of rounds (say up to tick 300) score difference between #500 and #1 is not all that high (maybe a ratio 1/3 by tick 300), which means that even these low rank people get a quite dramatic salvage reduction. Naturally, I guess one could just set the base salvage number pretty damn high. Getting 2/3 of 90% salvage is still 60%.

Actually basing the formula on score could make good sense since then later in the round low rank planets get even more salvage (measured in percentage points) than they do early round due to the ratio between say #500 and #1 is higher at maybe 1/5. All else equal, this gives lower rank players an easier time later in the round compared to earlier in the round, inducing them to stay longer.
cbk100 is offline   Reply With Quote