Thread: donation whores
View Single Post
Unread 22 Mar 2010, 21:15   #84
Zotnam
Over the moon

Zotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant future
Re: donation whores

Fine, I wanted this thread to go on a bit before I spoke my piece so here we go.

I came up with this idea a few rounds back after seeing some etd planet get a large donation (2 or 3 planets worth of res). It was a bit later in the round, maybe tick 100-150 and it seemed no-one noticed it or took offense despite him shooting into the top5 with #1 value. Anyway, he exiled around a bit and landed in a decent BP, had a good round and ended something like top30. I news scanned him several times during the round and basicly he never got inc. Obviously I was pretty pissed off with this stunt succeeding, but instead of being bitter for once, I thought to myself hey, we can take this idea, improve it and show everyone what is really possible to do within the current limits of the game.

First off I wanted to donate all the resources to a selfless scanner in our alliance who never got to play a proper planet, let's call her Anne. Originally I just wanted a bp of 3 or 4 semi-active people and we'd donate whatever we had, then exile the big planet into a more active gal before it made the value jump. The planets left would then have gone back to scanning/cov-opping/whatever that they would do anyway. No harm, no foul as they were never going to play properly anyway.

However, as I started talking to BlueArmy about it and private gals were announced, the idea evolved and we found it exciting to do something different. With good players in gal, we realised they could overcome the disadvantage at the start and play a fairly normal round afterwards. Luckily we knew (more than) enough people willing to give this a shot after we pitched the idea.

Bluearmy had the most time to put into playing PA currently and he is normally a stable player with several topxx finishes so he was an obvious choice for the one recieving the donation. However, we never once talked about winning the round or anything to that effect. The idea was to see where it took us, enjoy the whine + hate (thanks especially to isn0/light/pommeh/hut for providing the entertainment) and finally just get on with playing the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Donating to a someone inside your galaxy at startup does not require you to actually play the game nor does it require any real effort. Its not really co-ordination its simply getting someone to signup to donate to you, then they can happily quit and you can do what you like. Also donation doesnt require any real time or 'skill' either and so shouldnt be a factor, I do dislike the end week due to the way attacking/defending works but i much prefer that to someone winning via donations.
Now, hard as it may be to understand for someone who DIDN'T DO IT, it took careful planning just like any proper gal would. Without revealing all the details and thoughts we had, it was in no way as easy as you are trying to suggest, and I am sure there will be people screwing it up if they try it next round without turning their brains on. Start-up bonus was completely irrelevant, you only get that because they cut off 48 hours of protection. I didn't play last round and hadn't seen the faster start up before, let alone tried it. We would have done the exact same thing with the old start up and donated as many resources. The new startup makes it easier yes, but none of our planets have been inactive. So please stop bringing that up as an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx View Post
Just FYI, I alerted people of the possibility of this in last round's EORC!! No shocker that fools don't pay attention tho. I give that planet about 1 week before he has crashed all that value.
You got a rather large donation yourself last round, and spent most of the round bitching about how it hampered your planet. Where is that argument now? BA IS SCREWED NOW ISN'T HE!!! TBH if he crashed it, we'd donate it all back just for giggles

Obviously this tactic is not perfect, he can barely attack anyone and will lose the egde we gave him rather fast. Just like rushing CR is a tactic for getting high rankings at the start of the round, so is this. It's just the value version.

My own personal view is that donation limits need to change. I think late starters have had an unfair advantage in the past rounds too, hiding value in the fund and hitting bots 24/7. Whoever claims that is working as intended is retarded. I realise it's a nice loophole for strong gals and I could benefit from it myself since I am usually in such gals but it's just gotten out of hand. These planets do not need extra help, they are already bottomfeeding like crazy and every round we see some late sign up actually be #1 in roids. Could it get more obvious?

I do believe in fairness and I agree that this whole thing isn't fair. It was never meant to be. The whole ****ing game is never fair. It never can be. It may be a thusand things, different timezone, access to more defense, selfless players in gal, having a friend book you on alliance raids so you get 0 inc, inet access during work, no social life, people willing to come online when they see your number calling them, not when someone else is, having your brothers friend's taxi driver's son signing you up a support planet (pretty sure this was one of stuhlmans, and he claimed to know the guy really well!), and heck I could go on with this until I burst. To treat everyone the same, you need to treat everyone different. And we sure don't in pa.

I'd be entirely satisfied if the limits were changed to 20 mill max for donations, it would be extremely simple to do and extremely effective to the point where you need to rethink your life if you complain about someone getting a donation. It's simple and it works. The more complicated you make shit, the more likely it is someone will find a way around it.

PS: My screenshot saved for the scrapbook http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2...reenshotbw.png <3

Have a nice round of PA, hope you enjoy it whichever way you choose to spend it

Planets.
Zik: 3rd(r30), 4th(r52), 7th(r27), 9th(r26), 31st(r51)
Ter: 3rd(r50), 4th(r53), 4th(r37), 5th(r31) 7th (r58)
Xan: 3rd(r36), 40th(r57) 54th(r33), 104th(r29)
Cat: 8th (r54), 9th(r48), 12th (r55), 20th(r32), 77th(r23), 103rd(r38), 150th(r34), 152nd(r24),
Etd: 14th(r28)

Those damn emp races..

Last edited by Zotnam; 22 Mar 2010 at 22:24.
Zotnam is offline   Reply With Quote