Thread: Allow multing
View Single Post
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 17:21   #8
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about
Re: Allow multing

Phil and I talked about it once long ago. I've never seen anyone make a real logical argument against it. I'm sure that there exists reasons not to do it but nobody can be arsed to actually lay them out.

Here is one possibility:
Allow and hard code into the game, 2 planets per login.
Each planet has the same Ruler and Planet name
Add a column to the galaxy screen. In this column you will see either "Prime" or "Minor" Letting you know that this is either the primary or alternate planet.
Primes may join alliances, Minor's may not
A Prime and its Minor are always in the same cluster and never in the same galaxy. This holds true for whatever else happens, exiling, buddy packing, whatever.
There is no exception in place between a prime and a minor, but there are no other special advantages granted either other than the in-cluster travel time. Of course neither planet would be able to actually attack the other one.
Add a top 100 list. There will be a top 100 Binary list where the scores of Primes and Minors are added up into one score. Traditional Top 100 Planet list will also still be there as usual

This is just a rough sketch of the idea. A Full well thought out project plan would take several pages. There are lots of implications in that idea that need to be worked out fully.

Advantages:
We all agree that a larger planet base is a positive thing. It makes rounds more interesting for longer. It makes individual planet's numbers get bigger, and people like to see and throw around bigger numbers.

Of course there is revenue, this is why -Jolt- should allow it. Its also a net positive for the PA community. If the game can suddenly generate 1.75x more revenue because 3/4 of the game is willingly paying double, then that can't be any -worse- for the game, and might even lead to some more resources being thrown into things like bug quashing and other requested features.

Also this game is built on the idea that the a balance of skill and activity will get you to the top. It will take more skill to run two planets, and certainly a lot more activity.

There are a few things you shouldn't say from this point forward:

1) Its against the rules. Of course it is now, we're suggesting CHANGES
2) It doesn't seem like Planetarion. Most of the new things we've seen from PaX and beyond would have been ridiculed by r1-2 PA players. The honest to god truth is Planetarion is going to evolve or its going to die.
3) I don't like it. Period. Well thank you for your valuable feedback. Now back it up with some actual discussion

--Cayl