View Single Post
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:08   #44
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Uni - Is It Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
My comment referred to working in an outside job to financially support yourself. Which doesn't seem the point of Uni to me.

But anyway, repay society? Heh. If you want to earn moeny (so you can pay more tax) then I would not advise going to University. There are much better ways of earning a lot of money then simply getting a degree.

Overall, I disagree with the notion that "working really hard" is desirable in many cases. It generally shows some major problems somewhere along the line (either a system is poorly designed, someone lacks ability or training). Sure, some people may like working hard but that's another matter (that's hardly work, imho).

Yeah so anyway the Protestant work ethic sucks.
OK, I read it as 'going to uni to work at your classes/lectures etc isn't the point'.

You shouldn't be working yourself to death, but there's no reason the government should be paying your tuition fees so that you can go out on the piss every night. I personally found myself working my arse off at uni, but that's because over here, we take the best and the brightest, and get them to produce that absolute best they can, ideally without a nervous breakdown. I still had time at university to pursue interests, which included visiting the pub a couple of times a week with my friends (post jitsu re-hydration) but I still worked my arse off during the day, and did as much uni work as could feasibly be done before needing to engage in recreational activities to stop me turning into one of the crazy doctors off theme hospital. If you have to work yourself to death, and you're not being pushed by Oxbridge or some other top uni to achieve ridiculously high standards, you're prolly at the wrong uni. Equally, if you've got time to go out on the piss every night and still pass your exams, you could go to a more prestigious uni, and learn lots more useful stuff and not get pissed so often and end up better qualified.

And if you'd be working during your course to earn money to fund yourself, and you're in the position of the OP, I would suggest saving for a little while until you have enough to go through a course and not have to work evenings/weekends to pay your way. This isn't always feasible for people fresh out of school, but that's not what we're talking about here.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote