View Single Post
Unread 20 May 2006, 23:17   #39
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: the da vinci code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
The Wheel of Time huh? I think that's what my flatm8 is reading and it if I'm not mistaken it's fantasy? You compare fantasy books with a farmer boy who runs out to save the world and fight some dragons to a novel like The Da Vinci Code?

We may aswell compare Mickey Mouse with Lord of The Rings then.
I think we could call both Mickey Mouse and Lord of the Rings "fantasy", to some extent. And unless I am mistaken, fantasy books can also be novels.

Lord of the Rings is actually comparable to The Wheel of Time in some aspects, while Mickey Mouse isn't exactly a good comparison. If you had even opened a book in the Wheel of Time series, you would notice why he used it as an example. It is not because of the genre, so much as it is because of the way it is written.

The Da Vinci Code is easy to read, and it appeals to the masses. It's not great literature. The Wheel of Time was a poor example, but The Da Vinci Code is not comparable to books such as "Don Quixote", "The Idiot", "War and Peace" etc.

I read the book, and found it entertaining, but not enlightning. The film was not even entertaining

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote