View Single Post
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 20:44   #2
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switch/Router to work with Netgear SC101 (DHCP help?)

Reading netgears support site would seem to indicate the the lights are normal.

I don't think your switch has DHCP, generally they don't. I imagine your modem has DHCP capabilities, but as you have it connected now there's no link between it and the rest of the network.

I would suggest trying one of the following:

If your modem has an ethernet port use that instead of the usb, that way it can act as a DHCP server (assuming it supports this feature) and serve net access to the rest of the network.

If it doesn't support ethernet, most usb modems (actually I'm assuming it's a broadband one not dialup) will appear as a virtual ethernet adapter on your computer. You should be able to bridge this with your standard ethernet adapter under xp to create a path that your modem can communicate to the rest of the network with.

The other way is to invoke xp's built in DHCP server. You can create a dummy dialup connection and share it, doing this will allow xp to act as a DHCP server, however I don't know if this will break your internet settings and prevent your usb modem from working properly.

The final solution is download DHCP Turbo. It's a freeware software based DHCP server and should allow you to get around the problem without buying additional hardware.