View Single Post
Unread 21 May 2008, 12:49   #32
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Thoughts Required - Change Round Start Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatrick
protection for 72 ticks. u move the ticks forward urself whenever u done fiddling about with ur stuff, so these 72 tick can be done in say 30 mins. then u stop. game starts ticking proper saturday nite with everyone outta protection. this would give everyone a 24hr period to get their planet up and running before protection ends, leaving a more level playing field
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz
Has already been suggested in (and outside of) this thread. Is technically possible, but lack of coding time probably prevents actual implementation.
I would dispute this. I believe it would only require significant coding time were it to involve changes to the game engine itself, but this need not be the case at all.

Why not create a separate game module to which users are directed at first logon and asked to customise their planets. They could choose from a default build for their race or they could customise it by "playing" the first x ticks (with a much more limited UI) themselves. When they are finished the final details are added to the relevant database(s) and their planet is visible in game. There would then be a brief protection window (ex. 12h) for the use of non build features such as ship manufacturing, resource trading, alliance joining, etc.

I do not believe this method would require all that much coding time at all while having some nice benefits:

1) End of boring old protection mode which is definitely one of the worst parts of the game.

2) Gives newbies a chance to play a decently built planet from the get go. If combined well with the new quest system it could make the game much more accessible. At the moment people have to process a lot straight away and can get discouraged, something I've witnessed myself on several occasions.

3) Adds length to the round. I think the general consensus at the moment is that they are too short. This goes a little way towards alleviating that.

I could go on but I'm worried about stretching in to tl/dr territory.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote