View Single Post
Unread 20 May 2008, 20:24   #1
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice
Thoughts Required - Change Round Start Day?

Ok so, traditionally the round starts on like a Friday night, roughly 7-8pm game time. We sit here like lemons all weekend long initing like 2 rocks per tick or something soft, and we get out of protection sumtime monday evening and can finally attack

WHOOP HOLLA

ok ok... then those of us that work (these days, a lot of us!) have to miss out on all the improtant tick by tick production, countering, fleet addditions of our virgin planets... i dunno, to me it always feels that str8 out of protection and the chaos that ensues is deadly critical tick by tick to be in charge of ur planets, be conncted to irc to hook up with the very limited amount of scans available etc.

Now I understand the thinking of having the round start on the friday night, that gives us all time over the weekend to follow tick plans, fast start etc

BUT

imo (yeah jsut my opinion though vladel bless him give it a big whoop holla) this thinking is outdated and low tech! We start on a friday night so the most ppl can get access over the weekend....well this may have been true like 8 rounds ago or something, but with the advent of accesible mobile phone internet connectivity, i dont feel it is neccessarily true anymore. I can use my phone (and its internet really is the sux) to login and init two rocks per tick pretty god damn ezily

what i cant do it log into irc on the first tuesday morning out of protection, whilst in work, and beg in every damn channel i know for a news scan

to me (AND VLADEL <3) it makes a lot more sense to sayyyyyyyyyy

Start a round on a Tuesday, at 7-8pm game time. Those pesky students and unemployed bums connectivity will not be effected, as it remains constant regardless of when the round starts , and those of us who work can ezily follow start up on our mobile phones. BUT now this is the sheer genius part -

WE GET OUT OF PROTECTION ON FRIDAY at LIKE 7-8pm!!!!!!!!

The real pro of this, to me, is tha EVERY1 will be able to get access to and work out calcs etc or get to irc to get....or at least beg... for all the scans etc they need to guarantee survival through the chaotic first week! (or in this case, 3 days of the weekend!). Basically it is far more convieniant (i propose!) getting out of protection Fri night, as it makes possible all the stuff that u should really really be at a comp for, as unless u have a top of the range internet phone, and a boss who dont mind u sitting at ur desk fiddling with bcalcs and irc etc, ur pretty screwed with the current system of getting out of protection Monday night! We would alllllllllllllllllllllllllll (except the great unwashed and the bums) be better prepared for the round, if our first workday out of protection is like the 6th day of the round (the following Monday, assuming the round start was a Tuesday!).

K thats my pitch... for the ADHD effected, the smartass lazy and the soapbox narccissts, heres the short

CURRENT: START FRIDAY - PROTECTION ALL WEEKEND, OUT OF PROTECTION MONDAY NIGHT

PROPOSED: START TUESDAY - PROTECTION ALL WORKING WEEK, OUT OF PROTECTION FRI NIGHT

Pros of the current method - Those without phone conection can enjoy a decent startup

Cons of the current method - Workers get raped hardcore / crash hardcore straight out of protection, unless luck favors them.

Pros of the proposed method - Everybody in the whole game (except mcdonalds burger flippers) has access to irc for the fighting that ensues leaving protection

Cons of the proposed method - Those without pc or phone access, may have a compromised start.

I guess the question is, what is the biggest demographic, those who regularly need to access pa through their phone, or those who do not have internet access through phone. I have no research on this, only the confused blitherings of some over the hill, alcoholic old skool vets, who mumble sumthing about an ageing community, in between burping and picking bits of chicken for consumption out from in between their rolls of belly flab.

What are your thoughts on this, when is the ideal start round day, and out of protection day for you! Please note, I am not proposing changing the length of protection, merely the day the round starts! IF you have any other thoughts on the length of protection, feel free to air them here, but dont derail this topic from its intent (START DAY!) if u want an in depth discussion re: the length of protection go make ur own thread!)

LOVE AND KISSES DARKHEART

P.S. APPOCOMASTER PROMISED HE WOULD MAKE A POLL!!!!! for the preffered start day, if enough discussion and thought was presented here
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote