Thread: A Plane Problem
View Single Post
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 18:10   #182
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: A Plane Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnidman
I put it to you, that the frictional force caused by the wheel on the track, is not velocity dependent. And you are saying otherwise. This is quite a fundamental modeling flaw - which isn't very elegant at all is it.
I put it to you that I modelled the sum frictional forces upon the plane as a combination of velocity dependent and velocity independent ones, which, obviously, includes all possible frictional forces, and proved that it would take off without having to assume that the significant frictional force was velocity independent and without having to assume it had any particular scale of value.

The assumptions I made were that there were frictional forces acting on the plane, and that these were sufficient to make it come to a complete stop in a simiar timeframe to the time the plane takes to accelerate.

The first is obvious, the second is a statement that simplifies mathematical comparisons between takeoff and landing significantly, while biasing any answer against the one I am expecting.

Given that you can prove that the plane will take off from the above, actually determining which element of the frictional force is more significant, and the numerical value of it, has no purpose at all. You chose to involve estimated values, which is not only inelegent, but also a poor argument, as there may be a significant difference in outcome if you chose different numbers.

To put it another way,

Quote:
What are these "other (speed of track dependent)" frictional forces you talk of?
I don't know! It doesn't matter in the slightest! That's what makes it so fantastic!

Quote:
I put it to you, that the frictional force caused by the wheel on the track, is not velocity dependent. And you are saying otherwise. This is quite a fundamental modeling flaw - which isn't very elegant at all is it.
What I am doing is assuming the minimum amount possible for it to be a valid frictional model - viz, that friction is present. I have demonstrated that this is sufficient.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 28 Dec 2006 at 18:17.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote