View Single Post
Unread 5 Oct 2006, 16:59   #34
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: A Gym / Muscle Question

It seems you are doing some kind of fullbody workout as you are mixing up a lot of exercises ment for different musclegroups. Such method of training is ok but it might be wiser to do the bigger groups first then. Take a couple of chest, back and leg to do the smaller ones after. Biceps, triceps, shoulder, stomach. You seem to be mixing all up which doesn't sound very effective.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean with the pull ups as there are several kind of pull ups but to get onto your questions let me start with you back questions. First of all, not having aching muscles after training doesn't always indicate a bad work out. A lot of people do not feel their backs like they do feel their chest for example after a heavy workout although when you are beginner starting with deadlifts you will certainly feel your underback the day after. Just for your information, deadlifts are awesome. They make your core stronger and isn't only ment for your lowerback.

My favourite back exercises are deadlifts, rows and chin ups. Google on 'Bend over rows' and 'dumbell rows'. They're rather easy to do and compound, means it doesnt isolate a certain muscle but takes a whole area. seated wide overhead pulls can also be done, most gyms do have a pull machine for those. In case of the back, machines are oftenly used. A very good back builder is the chin up (wide overhand grip for the lats). Very hard to do too, most beginners will not be able to chin a single time except for 100lbs skeletons. Most gyms have several pull machines to do back exercises and in case of the back they're a viable way to train the back. Still, I advice you to go compound with at least a bend over row exercise in your routine.

The two exercises you are describing are for the chest and shoulders. Lying flat on the bench pushing weights vertically seems to be the benchpress. If you keep the weight very small besides your body you are doing a small grip benchpress which is ment to train your triceps. It would've been easier if you provided me some pics or animations. The one after is a above the head push which is for the upper deltoid (shoulder). You can do side raises, front raises and upright rows. Just look them up. http://exrx.net is an excellent site. It has a library with most existing exercises for every musclegroup including animations.

Last edited by SilverSmoke; 5 Oct 2006 at 17:52.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote