View Single Post
Unread 4 May 2006, 13:32   #182
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: The GD Music Archive

past couple of months orso i've been listening to the more defiant bands from hardcore beginnings, there are some real gems for those of you into that sort of thing:

the plot to blow up eiffel tower - dissertation, honey
this sentence from http://punknews.org/review/2225 should provide enough to allow those with a taste for hardcore or even general rock to why they should check this out.
"What may start off as a propulsive hardcore rant may morph into a free jazz frenzy before changing still into a low key lounge vibe."

liars - they threw us all in a trench and Stuck a monument on top
alright, this isn't hardcore at all. but it's pretty ****ing good for those of you into dense music. dense as in, every listen uncovers another layer and another little part that makes you twitch more to the songs.

the blood brothers - burn, piano island, burn
this will grate many of you, mostly because of the high pitched vocals. however, once you learn to tolerate, you'll learn to adore it. the blood brothers have always been eclectic and it's no different on this old record of theirs, but they've grown even more than their earlier releases (this isn't their alst record by the way, that's even more screechy, i find this one to be their most "accessible" one though, and it's probably their best in some way or another) in terms of progressing and experimenting with varied styles. the lyrics are as frightening as ever, and some of you may adore 'salesman, denver max' for it's delightful story.

nation of ulysses - plays pretty for baby
unlike the aforementioned recommendations, i've only actually got this record in this year, and i feel so dated for it. released bacck in early 90's it was one of the more definitive hardcore records of the day. this is the record that inspired TPTBUET, refused, etc etc. on that note itself, i'd urge their fans to give this a shot. because it really is quite gripping

the locust - plague soundscapes
i'll be honest, when i first got this album, i barely thought this was music. it seemed like just random unfiltered (and shit) noise, but recently i gave it a re-listen with better earphones, and it's blown my mind. it's an exhilarating record, with such pace, fury & composition rarely seen.

the murder of rosa luxemburg - everyone's in love and the flower pick themselves
multifarious rock band from the uk that's seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth after an ep released last year. this was the album that preceded that and it's another amazing record. it'll probably prove hard to find, but it's worth it. i find it hard to describe accurately what this band is, because it's a bit of everything carefully interspersed into one bloody good record. the thought provoking concept the album revolve arounds adds to the artful/pretentious nature of the record, but if you can lower hipster-elitist-prick guards a bit and embrace it for what it's worth, you'll see the brilliance.

for calmer music fans:
pure reason revolution - the dark third
it's prog rock but a world away from the likes of mars volta. bright brash, atmospheric music here, and most ears should like it.

Last edited by jerome; 4 May 2006 at 13:39.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote