View Single Post
Unread 3 Sep 2008, 10:16   #12
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future
Re: Jumping through hoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekay View Post
There really aren't that many people in the 'people who make NG decisions' group and I'm pretty sure I'm one of them. Given that, it often surprises me how ready people are to complain on public forums about the incredibly bad treatment bad rules bad this bad that, and yet not a single one of them has ever approached us in a constructive fashion to discuss a way forward.

Rules are made by humans; they are not created by God. If rules aren't working, they can be changed. Complaining about them without even attempting to approach a way forward is not helpful for anyone. This is a good life lesson.

As regards the channel limits, they like so many things are there for a reason. This does not mean that they can't change or that the resource usage cannot be reevaluated, merely that when those rules were made there were good reasons for them. Whether those reasons are still extant is certainly a discussion that can be started.

In terms of registration limits / supporter requirements, these were essentially introduced to keep P's resource requirements down. The structure behind this could certainly be looked at, as could other possible solutions such as a chanfix-style facility.
Okay then, I'll propose the following:

- 10 channel limit per person
- No need for any supporters
- Instant registration

Why? Make it simple and easy so people can get the channels they want. I'm certainly fedup of having to jump through hoops just to register a new channel. Alliances shouldn't get special treatment, give the same options to all players.

It's also what other IRC networks offer. Not every network, but I'd guess that the backwards policies of this network are in the minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonneh View Post
The channel limit has been in place since way back before netgamers was officially formed. Its enforced for a number of reasons, not least of which that we have to have some kind of limit for 'personal' channels.. simply because it makes it slightly easier from an administrative side of things. Say for example you had 8 channels, and your nick was to go idle.. you quit PA/IRC etc. When your 30 days comes up and we come to delete your nick, we now have 8 channels to lock and flag as idle so that any users still in those channels will have the opportunity to reclaim it and prevent its deletion - as you did before. The administrative overhead for cservice tasks like this is already quite high for an internet/IRC system, so limiting a person to 3 channels makes sense from our point of view.

The more general reason for limiting channels is the fact that it prevents hording. Obviously if someone can only own 3 channels, and they want a 4th.. they either have to have someone else register it for them, or they have to remove an old/inactive channel to clear space to own it themselves. Most people go for these options, which is why you were offered the chance to have a channel deleted. You find that most people on the network own a channel which is inactive, and they are more than happy to part with it in order to secure the new active channel which they wish to run. This places the old channels back into the available pool of names which new users can use, and keeps the cycle going.
So what if people have a few extra channels? Is there some sort of crisis where channels are like the supply of oil and have to be rationed to people? If I want to register a channel and someone else has taken it then I'll simply get a different channel name.

The administrative overhead is only there because of your policies. Registering a channel requires authorisation, changing a channel owner requires authorisation. Most other IRC services allow you to register a channel without requiring someone to authorise it, most other IRC services allow you either set multiple owners incase you do disappear - or a replacement founder which takes over automatically - instead of having to rush to #cservice every time your channel owner decides to quit Planetarion for a round.

I'm interested to see if you're actually willing to listen to this post, particularly Jeekay. Are you really bothered about what users think? Or are you more interested in enforcing rules just for the sake of being a bunch of jobsworths?
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote