View Single Post
Unread 15 Oct 2007, 11:04   #15
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Desert Island Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
I'll be the first to start acting as an elitistic prat then.
I hadn't heard of any of the songs you mentioned, and hardly any of the bands.
So I listened to them all (except eluvium) on youtube.
I assumed that a list of your 8 favourite songs that you would listen to for years on end would atleast be somewhat good.
But by Jove, was I dissapointed! There's a few half-decent tracks there, but most of it is truly crap. Utterly senseless music that hasn't got shelflife worth sh*t.

Are you being serious?

Also, I don't belive your book choice for a minute.

Cheers and kisses.
lol youtube judgement. all 8 tracks there are easily some of the most sincere and haunting music i've ever listened to. i can't really understand how anyone can't appreciate genuinely powerful music but then you chose bands like tool and foo fighters so perhaps there's no surprise. i'm even more amused that you actually just went on a limb to let marv's choices stand. where infact, 5 of marv's 8 pieces are some of the more soulless jazz i've ever heard. i'm not a big fan or student of jazz either mind you, i'm limited to liking coltrane mostly. but i certainly don't like music as mathematics or just a piece of craft. but hey it's i who's exercising in insincerity rite

i've listened to each song over again and they are definitely wonderful pieces of music - the only question marks being the fugazi and makaveli tracks. the makaveli one is probably the best hiphop/rap track ever written so i'm willing to keep it in and the fugazi one is obviously not their best at all but i don't think a better straight forward punk rock song has ever been written either so i'm set.

by the way none of the bands apart from murder by death and eluvium, perhaps i've mentioned are obscure - unless you mean 50-100k per record sold, is obscure. fugazi and converge are two of the biggest independent punk rock bands around. this is as mainstream as good punk music gets (apart from the clash.) circa survive is a pretty forgettable emo mixed with prog band that probably have more than 200k fans atm, however the song i've mentioned is still ****ing excellent. a silver mt zion is an off-shoot of godspeed you black emperor, pretty well known i believe. makaveli is a different alias of 2pac. most rap fans are probably aware of this. perhaps it's an exercise in obscurity in choosing a dead guy's side project but when his mainstream music is god awful hopefully it's forgiveable.

neutral milk hotel are probably the biggest indie rock band in the world, still selling thousands of albums yearly nearly a decade after they disappeared from the music scene. eluvium is one guy with a piano, i'm not sure how many know of him but it's lovely music. murder by death are probably my only real exercise in obscurity but i can't see how someone with all the music you've obviously listened to and all of your knowledge of music theory, can't appreciate them.

my three favourite books are probably, 'the curious incident..' by mark haddon, 'waiting for godot' by beckett and 'the stranger' and they have been for over a year now probably. do you need me to discuss the weight of existential debates or turn into horn before i'm allowed to like one of the best pieces of literature ever?

edit ASG - i'd get that aol broadband that comes with a free (presumably terrible) laptop and go from there..! if no electricity/etc i guess i'd settle for some sort of a renewable power station and try to create things myself

Last edited by jerome; 15 Oct 2007 at 11:14.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote