Thread: 10 Months on...
View Single Post
Unread 20 May 2011, 01:09   #45
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
Re: 10 Months on...

I feel it is only right that I comment on a few things here.

First of all, "my other game" will not try to be "the other game". It will stand on it's own feet. If I am unable to make a game that set itself apart from others, I have surely failed.
Heck, I don't even like "the other game". Tried it for a few months, but it never "sat right". I gotta admit the new Character Creator looks insanely cool and advanced, but it's not the game for me.
AD needs to bring something new to the table, or something old mixed in a new way. That said, there are wheels invented since long ago, and some of them are pretty circular and good.
There are still many things left to decide upon in AD, so even I do not know how the game will turn out exactly, but we are beginning to get a feel for it.
What I do know is that strategy and tactics will play key roles. As will alliances, and their inner workings.
If it makes sense, I guess one could say that AD will use base elements from many other games, old and new, lift them up into a very modern web-interface, offer more ways of interaction, and then we place a game on top of it all.
It has Facilities and Research, and you could argue we took that from PA. It has another step called Development, which is something a bit different. It has spaceships you can build, which you can use in combat. Most of this just sounds like PA, I know.
But it could be Starcraft 2 as well. Possibly EVE too.

Though many elements may be familiar, the difference lies in HOW these elements are used, interacted with, and perceived. Most people would agree with me in that PA, Starcraft 2 and Eve are very different games indeed.

My only desire is to make a new game that is entertaining, fun, that holds a few surprises and that provides a better experience than other "similar" games. There are dozens of online football managers out there. Yet I dare say I have made ManagerLeague into something quite different from the rest, offering a very different experience, even if many hardcore Hattrick players would indeed say that "it sucks". Games I make are not for "everyone". As I have stated before, I would much rather make a game that is loved by 30 thousand players than one that is played by 5 million.

The games I like to make, has a tendency to creep into the everyday lives of those who like them. By being able to play AD2460 on your tablet, iPad or LG Android phone, we can bring a game to places where i.e. Eve can not go. This allows a whole different interaction-scenario, and a different connection between player and game, if done correctly.

The big question is of course whether I can pull it off or not (-:

It is fun just trying (-:

- Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote