Thread: R65. Who wins?
View Single Post
Unread 22 Feb 2016, 16:45   #274
Recluse

Recluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to all
Re: R65. Who wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDrax View Post
You forgot the most important aspect of DCing back in those days....having the scheduled backup of the server. Also how it would take the universe noticeable time to tick for all the planets. I remember the warfrigate of r3 and how OP it was and if you threw enough WF as defense it would cover.

Fun good times where alliances could have private wars even though furgion dominated the early rounds with challengers struggling.

There were so many bots running around IRC back then too.
*sniff*sniff*good times

Anyways...back to original topic.
I have never been in ult but I have interacted with them on several levels for numerous rounds with them. Yeah ult seems like a powerhouse and an unstoppable beast but they are not really that much different then any other alliance. They have 2 key things that separate them and I guess not many people have picked up on it or dont really believe it.

1- they have very very dedicated DC, HC, BC. They work hard and dont get burned out and they also rotate to take breaks. This is very important but is only about 10% of the alliance. The rest are average players which I will address in point 2. There are just as good people in other alliance namely Arc, Raven, Shaz, CK, dybi (when he isnt crashing and playing for real =) ), irvine, etc... (way too many to list). Any one of those can lead an alliance or be the cornerstone of their defensive game play and ensuring they hang on to roids. However they will all fail for the most part....

2- why you ask....because their members are just not up to par.
If you take an average or below average PA player and they join ult, their game play gets elevated and they become much better PA player. I have seen that happen a few times. The secret to ult is that when people join they know they are expected to play at a higher level and as such they start playing at a higher level. You take an semi-active player and by them joining ult they know they have to be more active and respond to SMS/Calls for sending defense and other request and you will see them improve.
Just imagine as a DC, you get a 85% or higher response rate when you call for ships, you put any half decent DC with that kind of response rate and they will cover a lot of defense calls. You put a damn good DC with that response rate and they will be able to cover almost all calls to a certain extend.
Ult members are not that much better than other members in various alliances, they are just that much better at responding to calls for ships/fleets. Their own members police themselves, what I mean by that is that they will call out people that are slacking but now a days they dont have to because if you are part of ult you know you have to up your game and respond to calls.

Now granted that is not all. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that knowing your members is also vital and their sleeping habits, i believe it was agar3s. That does come in handy and knowing that person X will wake up in 1.5 hours to send his ships you can let that person sleep for a bit and still use his ships when they wake up. But I still stand by my statement that its really the ult culture that gives them the huge boost and elevates their game so much. I am not saying ult is full of average or below average players, what I am saying is that other alliances can compete on the same level as ult if they can get their members to respond just like ult members do. Quite a few alliances have competent command staff, its their members that are lacking.

Now let me go back to planning my trip while you guys continue to fling dirt at each other and turn your propaganda machine into high gear =D
This is well put. A good example of this are the def whores, like myself. If I dont ask first, I will get a pm from usually 1 of 2 peeps telling me where to send all my fleets. They know Im there during incoming hours, they know what I build. After that, unless there is a change in incoming, I never have to be there again the rest the night. Means maximum effectiveness, and minimal time usage on my side. Means I can still play without needing to be uber active

Saver of Sad

Supreme Commander of The Spider Colony
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote