View Single Post
Unread 29 Aug 2007, 18:37   #16
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The open source idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
I think this is the crux of the issue, and where the open source issue sort of falls dead, assuming by open source Phil M means actual open source, released under GPL 2 or something.

You're asking Jolt to support, as a company, something that allows people to walk along, say "hey, neat game", set up a server, load on the open source code and start what's basically Planetarion. I know Awake mentioned this, but really .... I know there are clones, and some have gone their own way, but it's still a bit of an issue..

If you don't mean open source, but more that people can contribute code to the game, then Jolt are asking you to sign an NDA so you can't say "hey, you've done something that's made me cross, I don't want you using my code any more". It's a legal thing.
This obviously makes sense from a business point of view. But generally a business works both ways, they expect their workers to create/maintain a product of which the company has ownership. And in return the workers get paid for the work they do. Jolt on the other hand seems to think it will all work out fine by only sticking to one side of the agreement: you do all the work, we get all the benefits. And that is where the main problem is for alot of ppl to sign an NDA or perhaps even to work on PA to begin with.

Frankly, despite admiring the work the current PaTeam ppl put in the game, i think they are crazy :/