View Single Post
Unread 15 Dec 2006, 09:56   #128
Thrackan
NewDawn peon

Thrackan is a glorious beacon of lightThrackan is a glorious beacon of lightThrackan is a glorious beacon of lightThrackan is a glorious beacon of lightThrackan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Round 20 Changes

I think at least PUBLISHING alliance value is a good point. It would make it clearer to see what danger an alliance is to your own self.

When small players are concerned:
when I started r4-5 I was as allianceless as can be. In one case, cluster alliances made my round good, in the other it totally bit me in the bum.

For new players a bite in the bum by cluster allies could be a turndown. I did have the balls (or boredom) to continue and started finding myself a "real" alliance in r7. I simply saw that (back then) it was impossible to play good without one.

Empathising with nubs (which ain't hard for me to do ofc) I can see why XP gave a new dimension to gameplay, making it possible to not be ranked 2000+ if you actually attack. Now, when such a player comes into an alliance, he is suddenly worth jack because his value is low.
In short words, it would be harder and less fun for newer players to get playing, have fun and get into an alliance (and MEAN something in the game).

Cluster allies were a good twist off the regular system, but I don't see how allowing them to come back and being effective will help new players to stay in the game.
This round I first experienced the XP system, and I have to say I was pleased, because I could make a top 200 rank. This was my motivation for continuing before I heard said changes.
I love alliance play and the social aspect that comes with it, but if a player like me (and there's a whole lot of those around) has to go for value, there's no more chance of personal pwnage, and the other way around is the same.
I don't want to be forced to choose whether to play for my ally or play for personal rank.

As far as buddy packs are concerned, I will once again incorporate the small player: with the buddy pack size of 5 any galaxy can have a good base, guiding small players to the works of the game. I have had a VERY social galaxy this round, and you need a base to provide that kind of fun to (new) players.

My emphasis is on small players, because 1: they are the majority and 2: getting more users is getting more small players. Small players are the present, past and future of every game and provide a healthy base for a game to be able to run. If only say the top 300-400 people would play, this game would die, as would any other.
Thrackan is offline   Reply With Quote