View Single Post
Unread 15 Dec 2006, 03:20   #126
Furyous

Furyous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to behold
Re: Round 20 Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
I agree with you in the sense that alliance value needs to be published, as well as score or you might as well publish neither and make planetarion a guessing game again. I think it would at least, encourage alliances to be more proactive and actually attack other alliances before they get too far ahead. For me this is very much a no brainer.

However I don't see how measuring a galaxy and planet's success by one measure (score) and alliance by another (value) is even remotely constructive as you could be successful in one sense but totally useless in another, which doesn't seem remotely satisfying.
These two things aren't contradictory. Rank alliance by whatever you want, but please publish all the information (bar co-ords ofc)

Quote:
The point I make is that activity dictates value and value dictates who wins battles and usually who wins rounds. However, with XP and measuring by score, you give an alliance that might be less active but maybe more capable/tactically ept to gain on them using XP to compensate for the fact that a value lead is very difficult to break down except in the two situations I described above.
I disagree. In theory you're quite right. In practice, however, active alliances are usually the alliances who have already done very well. Their success has not been through activity, but through maintaining what has brought them success (which just happens to be activity when value is key). What I'm trying to say is that traditionally high value alliances and planets have been the most capable/tactically ept anyway. What XP allows for is those capable people to win and put in even less effort (a la Ascendancy which is/was mainly full of traditionally high value people who were formerly part of traditionally high value alliances who saw an opportunity to slack off and still win).

Members of alliances that do well from XP play aren't less active because that have to be, but because they can be.
Alliances with inactive members regardless of XP play aren't and won't be successful anyway.

Quote:
Value is dominant enough, we don't need to make it the be all and end all. It already is a large factor in deciding who wins rounds.
As i said, it doesn't have to rank alliances. But publish it, then at least the community can have an accurate perspective when judging performance.

Last edited by Furyous; 15 Dec 2006 at 03:26.
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote