View Single Post
Unread 22 May 2010, 15:16   #50
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Dear zPeti part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Admins and Owners very rarely post on forums in alot of games, mainly due to it being pointless. You dont get constructive critisism or anything of real value from doing so, you just open yourself up to abuse; This thread is a prime example of that If you want more communication, then learn to communicate yourself without flaming.. If you feel something is wrong, then explain why its wrong not just random flaming about the subject.

Whenever a owner posts on a forum, it becomes an open invitation for everyone who has a problem with something in the game to flame them with little/no actual relevent information. Lets take gm's flame post in this thread, its worth to note that gm is HC of CT and not just a random person:

I cant stress this enough, Dont respond to flame threads or flame posts directly petitioning or calling for your attention. Talk to the community through announcements and maybe the EORC ceremony, doing anything else will just be inviting trolling. Make your announcements in the 'announcement' section of the forum where people cannot directly respond in the thread to flame. You should also be telling moderators to delete posts like Kennys which are 100% flame and posts like Wishmasters below which are directly advertising another game.
First of all, I want to make it clear that I am not really that bothered about the game changes and if we have multi targetting or if a ship is called the pink fluffy bunny or whatever, that is something that solves itself when we got the people dedicated to making changes and having the right amount of time for the game will bother and care about.

My initial gripe, and it has been for all along is a total lack of communication, it is letting the game be handled in a most careless way because the people put in charge do so on a squarely volunteer basis and do not have the time to put aside for coding a new game (which I think is the way forward.)

Now I do disagree to some extent with Light's comment that owners and creators of a game should not interact with the community playing the game. As an example; Football Manager which holds a large community alive, and has people from SI communicating and taking part in discussions about the game. Now everyone does not like football, but you cannot say that their approach to the community that plays their game is a waste of time. Heck, even I have emails from some of the creators, and they got back to me only hours after posting things on their messageboards. How many copies of their game do they sell EVERY year? I wonder..

The trolls you ignore, or worst case moderate, the actual good ideas you take onboard, you shape it to fit the idea you have for your game, and you make your game better.

However I do completely agree with Light on one thing. (Yes, pigs does fly in a snowy blizzard in hell) zPeti should make announcments fairly regulary, and to be around for EORC and maybe a CH every now and then at LEAST to show that he actually is doing something. Or else people WILL feel left out and left in the dark. Information is key to any community, and that is why the people behind the game need to show their face now and then. Even if it would be to just say: "Hey guys, we dont have any news to announce, but work on things are moving along nicely."