View Single Post
Unread 6 May 2006, 12:15   #15
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Re: Recent Elections

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
The real problem at the moment is that there's no replacement for the current Labour Party. The Conservatives are still widely disliked by swathes of the country as a result of their poor performance during the early 1990s - and Blair's 1997 landslide wasn't dissimilar to the Democrats' collapse in 1994.

Until the electorate is willing to accept that the Conservatives have changed they'll never be elected. This is unfortunate, since they've got an excellent leader at the moment attempting to push the party away from the kneejerk populist right-wing and towards a more libertarian stand-point (pro-civil liberties, generally pro-business).
I think the Tories are fast becoming a legitimate (and welcome) replacement, but largely because of Labour's own inadequacies. Cameron is a likable leader at least, and he is changing the public's perception of the Conservative Party as a party that doesn't care, but he's not exactly offered a distinct alternative. I think the next election will, yet again, focus upon public services, and the party that seems the most likely to introduce improvements will win the most seats.