Thread: Books
View Single Post
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 10:26   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Books

Hitchhiker's (or something by Adams) deserves a spot if we're going by quality of writing. His general approach to prose and humour construction was second to few, as it were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
85. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
Seen the films (thankfully not the most recent one) plenty of times. Not read the book.
Why thankfully not the recent one? It's the most thematically accurate depiction of the book in the medium of film that I have encountered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Day of the Triffids
Now, fan as I am of John Wyndham, I don't really think it's one of the best 100 written books "ever" last century.

Part of the problem with this list is that it is inconsistent in terms of what it picks out as "good works". It appears to be constructed of "high minded" literary fiction coupled with a few books tossed in as representatives of genres that generally don't appear in that style, as well as several books that are highly regarded because they're highly regarded. I could name any number of books which are better written than The Maltese Falcon, for example, whilst some of the books on the list are clearly only there for the quality of their prose, which can be arguable.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 8 Aug 2006 at 23:29.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote