Thread: Oh. My. God.
View Single Post
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 06:32   #24
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Oh. My. God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
While I generally agree on the whole, I don't believe its entirely the fault of app devs doing things they shouldn't. It would seem that UAC freaks out occasionally about things writing to the registry in general. Seeing as 99.99% of apps are relient on the registry to store settings its a bit ludicrous.
the solution is a simple text file to store settings a-la- /etc/ in *nix that could easily go in /documents and settings/username/application data/app
Heck it could even be xml formatted to make it that bit nicer to automatically validate format and parse. ( with the added bonus of making it that little bit easier to port if you want to since flatfile settings storage is pretty universal )

There isnt any real need to be storing things in the registry ( and thus memory resident ) - settings least of all which only really get accessed on startup,settings change and saving
I agree that UAC should be tweaked so that it doesnt go mental about programs writing to the registry ( at least, to the registry in their own section of it - and not anything system wide ) but there are ways of doing things that dont involve this as a workaround

Last edited by Phil^; 7 Aug 2007 at 06:49.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote