Thread: Yahwe's Career
View Single Post
Unread 20 Mar 2006, 03:05   #18
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
Re: Yahwe's Career

Ah I remember about two years ago when I faced a very similar problem; staying with my government agency in Canada or taking an academic position at Oxford. I also posted here and asked for advice, and I will always recall yahwe posting standard one-line insults as a response calling me self-absorbed and pitiful for asking for career advice on here.... Ah memories...

I, however, am not Yahwe and odd as it may sound, sympathise. It is difficult to transition from cloistered work, academics or (I imagine) law to real work, and harder still to transfer back, as I did. The real difference is the level of expectations, depending on where you end up. My first out of MA job was MacKinsey, which while I did well there, I loathed it.

Go out into the real world and make your mark, or try. The great thing about being a member of the bar (I assume, I actually have no knowledge of the UK legal system, and am basing this on Canadian precident) is that if the real world fails you, you are still a member of the bar, and can return to your cloister...

(Aside: yes, when all else fails, insult my grammar. That will certainly impress everybody. Especially when you are wrong.)

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote