View Single Post
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 16:38   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switch/Router to work with Netgear SC101 (DHCP help?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
There is an inbetween option - if you enable Internet Connection Sharing for your USB modem (it doesn't need to be dialup, this works with ADSL or Cable) then your Windows PC will start acting as a DHCP server.

Failing that then yes a hardware router would be an option. Switches do not have DHCP servers - they are strictly to transfer local network traffic (ie. traffic on the same subnet).
I thought about this, but when I went to verify it on my own system I wasn't given the option of enabling ICS on my interface, I geuss it's only certain interface types then.

Also some smart switches and a few of the really high end ones (couple of Cisco ones as an example) do indeed have incorported DHCP servers. It wouldn't surprise me too much if we started seeing some of these more advanced features creeping into home switches as is usally the way with most technology.

Ragnarak it sounds like most of everything should be in order, if you have ICS enabled then the DHCP server is already running. It might pay to look at other causes as to why the configuration software cannot see the network drive. Is there a firewall anywhere that might be preventing the software from seeing the device? Check to see if windows firewall is enabled or not on your adaper. Make sure no other firewall software is blocking things, common offenders are either zonealarm or norton internet security.