View Single Post
Unread 4 May 2010, 12:52   #255
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Sad change in planetarion history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
The post was intended as a counter-measure. In that light, it failed miserably.

I also disagree with your statement that the community cannot change the status quo without the involvement of multihunters. That said, I do agree that the multihunters are primarily responsible for setting the boundaries within which we're allowed to make political moves (though only if the game mechanics fail to do so). In that light, I'm somewhat disappointed we haven't heard from them (though not particularly surprised). Obviously I'm not asking for them to publically denounce Apprime. However, in the interest of next round, I do want to know if Ascendancy will be allowed to let all Conspiracy incomings land on us while we cover all Apprime incomings.
There is a different philosophy which was touted back in the day. The game is a sandbox, it has its limits and you play within those. Anything that can be done within those limits, is allowed. If the community disapproves of someones actions, suspects them of cheating or playing in a dishonest way, then it is the community who may act as enforcers of this view. Essentially replacing the law with a lynchmob, but as still enough people need to be convinced to join in, there's a counter measure in place to stop completely moronic accusations from being carried out.

I'd say that's actually what we saw in this case, although the conditions were helped along by other factors, such as the general dislike of cardi. The essential weakness of this approach, is that it also requires there to be enough organizational power on the opposing side to organize the mob in a meaningful manner, something that hasn't really been there in the past when this has been suggested.