View Single Post
Unread 11 Jun 2007, 23:25   #12
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: The faulty electoral syste -rant

I keep meaning to read Dante's blog post and reply. I'm not sure where to start on your rant. Apart from electoral reform, I'd say transparency is the second most important reform. But that is only useful with an educated citizenry. Nodrog spoke of the death of taught abstract thinking. I'd agree that's a very important skill. But other than that I'm a little uncomfortable with reeducation or political indoctrination. Not to say that doesn't happen today, but two wrongs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Obsessing over the intricacies of the voting system misses the point - regardless of how you set things up, the winners are going to always be the candidates which are in some sense the 'average' of everyones views.
Your phrase "in some sense" is the key here. And there lies the difference between what some people call fair and some people unjust. However, if you don't care that much about democracy then electoral reform indeed misses the point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Its not even a case of education/ignorance really - uneducated chavs in the UK vote mainly for Labour or Conservative, as do university professors and lawyers.
And by some bizarre coincidence we have a first past the post electoral system.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote