View Single Post
Unread 18 Jan 2006, 21:30   #67
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Ship naming competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran
* Chimera name to Barghest
* Gryphon name to Chimera
* Phoenix name to Gryphon
* Drake name to Phoenix
* Demeter name to Ziz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Google Hit For Barghest
It only appears at night. People believe that anyone who sees the dog clearly will die soon after the encounter.
Need I say more? Better than large male duck anyway

Gryphon was CO->FR back in r11, so that change is at least mildly appropriate (and it's still def against the small Cath pod...)

Demeter is a bit annoying, as she was a goddess, not a mythical creature. Not only that, but she was the goddess of agriculture. Hardly fitting for a PA ship. I expect everyone's going to hate me for the replacement though. The Ziz originates from the same myths as Leviathan and Behemoth, except apparantly big sea serpents and overgrown hippos are cooler than birds big enough to block out the sun (Though let's face it, Leviathan and Behemoth do sound slightly more intimidating).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathaar
* Scorpion name to Recluse
* Guardian name to Mantis
Scorpion as an FR doesn't work, so we dig out the Recluse. It's a kind of spider. If you've got a strong stomach you can go google image search "recluse spider". Mantis is an oldie, but a goodie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandathrii
* Vsharrak name to Phantom
* Pulsar name to Vsharrak
* Bomber name to Ghost
* Peacekeeper name to Wraith
* Lancer name to Peacekeeper
So we lose the Lancer (no real ships in that role this round) and the Pulsar (I was tempted to make the Pulsar FI->FR as that's historically more correct than then Vsh being FI->FR). The Ghost is a fairly easy one after last round. I wanted one more of the old 'cloak' names in, and of the old r3-5 ones, only Wraith and Spectre were left. Wraith was a CO, but Spectre always fired at small ships. Since I've been doing it a lot today, I let targeting decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikonian
* Cutlass name to Interceptor
* Assassin name to Cutlass
* Thief name to Assassin
* Cutter name to Thief
* Rogue name to Pirate
* Clipper name to Rogue
* Corsair name to Clipper
Finally, the elusive Interceptor. Some people want the Harpy to be renamed, but I figured zik would actually fit the name better, as it's role as much as a noun. Cutlass as FI->CO fits better than Thief there (I didn't want to make the Thief DE, as traditionally Pirate is the big one, Thief is the small one). Other than that it should be fairly straight-forward. Except the new Clipper. That one made me cry a little inside.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote