View Single Post
Unread 11 May 2006, 11:35   #11
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: A betting system to encourage helping newbies (and alliance/galmates!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
What bonus is there?

You know someone is going to land on roids. you bet on them to go up a few ranks.
You seem to have a remarkably "free" system of betting on anyone.
The built in limitation is that you can't bet on the same outcome twice. You can't bet someone will get into the top100 two times, you'd have to bet 100, then 99. It would probably be better to either to limit it to 'higher than current highest rank'. So if I've been up to rank 2 (after protection, I guess), the 'worst' anyone could bet on for me would be rank 1. Another way to limit it would be to make brackets. Top100, top200, top500 etc.

Quote:
The best way I could see of rewarding is something like:

((rank when bet-rank achieved)/(ticks taken to achieve)^(1/2) )*resources/xp/etc
Congratulations on missing the point. Your formula means that very quick, sharp rises (such as my rise of ~2k ranks in a day last round) are very well rewarded. This directly favoritizes the alliance 'farming' stuff you complained about earlier.

My system means that the largest gains are from the slowest rank climbers. If I pay 100k for a newbie to get into the top500, and he does it 500 ticks from now, I get a return ~3 million (going by last round).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Because of the colossal amount of abuse that would happen with a universe full of potential gains.

It is likely that most players would rise by 1 rank within a few days, ceteris paribus. Thus, all you need to do is troll through the galaxies and place a bet that their rank will increase by one, and you would gain such a massively disproportionate amount of cash it wouldnt be funny. There isnt really an incentive to get players to grow when; 1) there is no "risk premium" offered, 2) the universe is your footstool, 3) you can bet on any rank (not just in blocks of 50/100 or whatever if you are dealing with lowly ranked players).

As the liklihood of a player gaining 1 more rank is exceptionally high, the payoff should be very small - ie, risk = reward. similarly, if you have a player who gets into the top 50 from rank 1000, then the likelihood of that is small, and thus the reward for getting them there should be much larger. Otherwise, betting systems collapse completely if 'everyone's a winner' etc.
The return would be very small.

Quote:
I like the idea that you have given. It think its exceptionally original, and if applied to players within your galaxy only it; 1) allows you to focus on a select number of players and train them up well, 2) limits the number of players that you can bet on, and thus increase the long-term importance of getting them ranked well, 3) severely reduces the liklihood of universal wide trolling for betting.

All three of those reasons mean that the system is more likely to actually help the players whom you are betting on.
I dislike the idea that I'm unable to help someone just because they're not in my galaxy. That's just me though.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote