View Single Post
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 19:37   #9
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about
Re: New alliance for newer players - R15 Your community needs YOU

I don't on the whole support this idea.

The reasons are thus:
1) I know Forest fairly well, and I don't think he's in a position to devote the time or stamina to making this work across the duration of 1 full round.

2) I don't think this alliance is necessary because its not fulfilling a unique position in the community. Several alliances make a point of trying to recruit quality new players and train them up for the good of the game.

Other than that, good points are made. I think a more positive way to go would be for Forest to devote his efforts into identifying and networking with alliances who are willing to take in new players through next round and train them from scratch. Then further, getting veteran players to have a general consensus on what is good galaxy policy on treatment of players arriving in their galaxies.

For instance if the Top 50 galaxies mostly agree that:
1) When a new player arrives, they are greeted by a Galaxy Overview message, Galaxy Forum post, and a Minister mailing them. The message is, mail the GC or post on the forums or we'll assume you're inactive and exile you.

Galaxy Commanders will agree to wait until the * first goes away or 12 hours, whichever is shorter.

2) Once a new player makes contact, they have 24 hours to get into the galaxy IRC channel. The galaxy will give such assistance as they are able in helping to make this happen.

3) If a brand new player can manage to learn how to send a mail and log onto IRC, the galaxy will give assistance for the first week to judge the new players intelligence and motivation. They will then have a list of alliances who are newbie friendly and can talk to the recruiters of a given alliance to setup an interview with their newbie.

That right there would be a solid start for any new player. Its not a free ride, its fair to the galaxy, and fair to the new player. It can tolerate a few exceptions in the top 50 and still provide enough "landing pads" for most people to end up somewhere they can handle.

Last edited by Cayl; 14 Sep 2005 at 19:39. Reason: typo
Cayl is offline   Reply With Quote