Unread 30 Jul 2007, 21:07   #9
AdmV0rl0n

AdmV0rl0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: two additional ship types

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Right.

How does one destroy the flagship?

Are shots divided to it as they are on the current combat engine?

If so, you'll almost ALWAYS end up getting 100% stolen by the zikonian flagship, 10% killed by the terran flagship, and so on. Let me elaborate why. You have ten flagships (one built per tick over ten ticks). To flak your 10 special marauders, double armor, you have 10 000 regular marauders. That is, for each shot that hits a regular marauder, a lot less shots hit the special marauders. Coincidentally, they can take a good load of punishment due to their double armor (which doesn't affect them being targeted more).

This leads to you having to overkill it twice (because shots are spread by percentages: ie. the share of special marauders is ~0.001%, equals 0.1%, (10/10 010), so if you need 5 dealer to kill a marauder, you need 50k to kill 10k marauders: if you have 50k dealers firing, 50 of them hit special marauders - instead of 10 special marauders dying, 5 special marauders die. Why? Because they have double armor. This leads to 50% of your fleet being stolen.

Great.

Now, inserting tiny ships (by numbers) that inflict horrendrous damage on the enemy (in form of f.ex stealing 10% of the enemy's fleet), under the current combat engine, it gets difficult to root them out. Generally, coding fixes to the combat engine mechanics (on the level of altering how targeting works) is probably hard, time consuming, and risks a lot of annoying bugs.
I really don't know where you got some of the above. I only suggested a couple of changes, like 2x the firepower, or 2x the armour. The ships could die if you use the chassis type, or go the stealing via marine carriers.

In terms of amplification of the race abilities, it was only an idea. I did say sliding scale, so in small battles, the Flagship might help, in larger ones it becomes less important in the outcome.

The stealing the flagship and getting a reward could be a lot of fun.