View Single Post
Unread 14 Jul 2006, 18:03   #31
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: The Big Ol' War Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&F
I am well aware of why Hezbollah has been empowered, and the idea that when israel left that was somehow the end fothe matter is misguided and simplistic. If nothing else you are ignoring a legacy of death and destruction.
I accept that such a legacy exists. However I do not see how the spilling of more blood, Israeli or otherwise, can change what has happened in the past. Lebanon should pursue restitution and the repatriation of prisoners through means other than the deliberate provocation of a government known to be extremely reactionary. The fact that they choose to do otherwise is indicative of a further agenda at play, perhaps not even their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&F
I am saying that the Hezbollah activites were a response to Israeli action. Israel has its own agenda and have merely found an excuse to carry out such acts. The idea that the kidnap of two soldiers justifies this is simply insane.
I do not believe it is this simple. Once Israel had made the initial move of striking against the Palestinians for the Gilat abduction they locked themselves into a course of action. Perhaps it was the wrong one, it was certainly on the extreme end of available reactions but once they did it for Gilat how could they do less for any other soldier so captured? Hezbollah knew this and acted accordingly. It is they that have put their own citizens in harms way for no possible gain (for Lebanon) and with everything to lose.

Again, it seems clear that they must be pushing a further agenda. Israel believes this agenda to be the elimination of the Israeli state. For it to be "wiped off the face of the Earth" as the ever so eloquent Mahmoud Ahmadinejad so delicately put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&F
In terms of puppetry clearly Israel has the US backing it in its war against Arab interests in the region, but I doubt they would be so bold if they didn't have the US.
Agreed. Furthermore it is likely that without US backing Israel would never have been founded. Nor would it have survived to the present day, even if it had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&F
Also I am pretty sure that Iran could flatten Israel, I'm not sayng it would be easy but they would win (whatever winning would mean in such a horrific scenario)
Israel has always stated a policy of 'Scorched Earth' and has a considerable stockpile of nuclear weapons. It is publically stated policy that if Israel cannot have their Holy Land then no-one can. Anyone who questions their will to use these weapons is a fool. If the worst were ever to happen I am sure that nothing much of anything would survive out there.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote