Thread: My CV
View Single Post
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 14:17   #8
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: My CV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Good CV, but I cant help feel that all you've written about is your civil service job. I mean obviously thats your main selling point, but at the moment it is pretty much the only thing on youre talking about. Personaly i'd expand a bit more on the skills you gained during your degree (I know why you arent discussing it much, but you can probably still talk about various things without mentioning your final grade). I would also delete the references to the 'C' grades you got at highschool.
From what i read about writing CV's you try and tailor your CV to the kind of job you're applying for. Sure i could mention the bar job i had, the job i had on a construction site, the time i worked at a crop research facility and the time i stocked shelves in a supermarket but really would it make any difference? Job wise i think it would be the equivalent of including my standard grades. I mean if i'm not gonna get an office job with the job experience i've listed i doubt i'll get it by writing about my other jobs.

Saying that tho i might knock up something for the science job (just to have to hand). Space is a bit of a problem tho as i'm VERY near (as in a couple of lines) to having fully filled 2 pages.

Also ... i've got 2 C grades out of 6. One of those was superceded by my SYS result (which makes it the equivalent of a Higher B). Again i think my degree supercedes any higher results i have anyway (but that's just me). Why did you remove all reference to your higher C results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Shorten some of the points under the PO3 section. I don't know what it looks like on a printed page, but the lines appear too long here, especially compared to the concise points under the Team Leader job.

You should also have a section talking about your skills (independent of the employment / education sections) - especially if any of those you have evidence for. For instance you could put your skills in the MS Office packages (if you've done any of those gay "Advanced Lessons" training course that your work might hold) or, depending on the type of work your typing rate, phone skills or whatever.

I'd also agree with Nod that you might want to mention something about what you did on your degree - e.g. use of statistical methodologies, necessity of eye for detail, research stuff, etc.

I don't have any qualifications IT wise (well other than the Scotvec Modules i got in computer applications and computer programming when i was 14 and 15 ... oh and a certificate in IT competence from Glasgow Uni that everyone has to get ... i don't think anybody will be impressed by any of them). The reason i was chosen to be "IT dude" is because they sent round a questionaire asking "Can you do these things. Please tick box" and i could and most folk on my shift are computer retards (like dont know how to send an attachment on an e-mail. Dont know how to search for files. Don't know how to create folders. *THAT* stupid). I went on the ECDL familiarisation course but havent asked to go on the actual course itself cause i know how to do all the stuff (it seems to be Standard Grade Computing by another name).

WPM wise ... i don't have anything concrete but on one of those computer test i scored like 55wpm. I didn't know if i should trust this / put it down tho.

Degree wise you might be correct. I've also been told to put down my actual grade.

PO3 job description wise ... it averages 3 lines in length (as apposed to 2 lines for the EO). I know it looks a bit long but i cant think of any way to shorten it without rendering the points meaningless. I'll have a think about it.

Thanks to all those who've given me advice. I'm gonna re-worked it and post again at some point this afternoon (lucky youse) :)