View Single Post
Unread 24 Jan 2007, 13:46   #32
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Drifting towards 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharur
I mean when for example on of my friends would be down because his gf broke up, I wouldn't say "no sorry I can't hang with you cause you make me feel depressed and I don't have fun while you're like that, so solve your own problems". You're probably right about the cost-benefit analysis though (although it makes me feel a bit weird naming it with an economical term).
In my experience, when a friend is depressed the best thing to do is simply whatever you would normally do. It's not your job to solve their problem, except by being a normal friend and doing the normal stuff that friends do.

Quote:
Yeah I didn't really mean in specific skills, I just meant overall, although I guess the comparison can be drawn to specific skills aswell, but then you should only hold into account the other people that also "train" in those skills. For example I train a martial art for a few years now, I'm not bad at all, but there's enough people that are better than me or that show more talent even in my club. I studied informatics and I have a decent job in the IT sector, yet there's tons of people that are better than me and could do my job better than me. Which doesn't mean I suck at the martial art or my job, I'm just average.
You're above average compared to most people. I don't think that there is really such a thing as 'overall' intelligence or skills. If you were hanging around with 'more intelligent' people, there would still be plenty of things that you can do better than they can.

Quote:
About the hanging around with losers, I've never done that, you probably weren't talking about me. But this brings up something else, for example my best friend gets all the girls' attention, surely that's not good for my self esteem either?
Is it really that bad? Getting attention is something you have to do yourself; you wouldn't get any more attention if your best friend was entirely socially inept.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote