View Single Post
Unread 15 Feb 2014, 19:00   #77
KatoZee

KatoZee is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Round 56 shipsstats

It was in my ramblings contained with a PM to Paisley that I stumbled across an idea that could spice things ups for a future round. Again with my inexperience and lack of knowledge on previous rounds this idea may have already been trialled and found unwanted but I will mention it anyway and try to explain as best as I can the concept behind it.

Covop is an interesting portion of the game however I can't help but feel that its something that has been written out, since I have yet to find someone five times my size that I could actually covop. Then I noticed the anti structure ships that seem to play such a small portion of the game, at least I have not seen one fleet all round with any in. Yet when I peruse the Universe stats I see that there is a decent armada of them available.

So then during mid message this concept arrived at my fingertips. Replace anti structure ships with a new type. Troop Ships. These would be one use only ships to avoid abuse of the new game mechanic. Now the concept behind the troop ship would be that instead of targeting structures they crash land and deploy ground forces that combat the target planets security guards and kill them off dependant on some random formulae, probably the same rate at the steal guard covop except you don't gain guards. Should the case be that there are no more guards on the planet, the left over value is then done to take out structures. But either way those troop ships won't come back.

Just like in covop missions it does the check vs the targets alert rating, sec centres etc etc... these bypass that because they need to get through the enemy defence first. This would add a new dynamic to the universe and create more advanced fleet movements that would bring the top players of the alliance into joint strategies with the bottom members.

I.E. I believe Spore has broken free and won R55 (congrats, its always nice to know your stolen roids went to the winning team) and Vikings look to take 2nd but no where near enough time to wrestle first place. So I will use these two chaps as the example.

Spore in the lead and Vikings launch an all out attack to FC Spore's top player to try and claim the number one spot. We are into the dying last ticks of the round and neither fleets are backing down and after a massive battles the scores are just within reach of each other with Spore just in the lead. Then all of the sudden the lowest ranking member of Vikings launches that covop ship steal hitting that bonus 5x value difference and deals a heavy blow. With spore preoccupied with the FC they were unable to defend against the massive troop ship numbers sent to all their other planets and a string of covop mission ensue across the galaxy that helps Vikings steal #1 at the last few ticks.

I am told that at some point or another everyone will crash, but with this dynamic those members without a decent fleet left can still feel like they can contribute and it would open up the covop joy again. The easy way would be to over hire guards but then that brings in the decisions of do I hire to many to survive the wave to fire them after (waste resources) or do I try to hire replacement guards quicker than they can press launch covop mission.

Now I appreciate that this is a very long post but I believe its still in keeping with your aims of wanting to see the multitype waves. Since the existing anti structure ships are always of a different class to the roiding fleet. So again it would force the requirement to utilise different ship types.

I'll keep quiet now (^^,)
KatoZee is offline   Reply With Quote