Thread: Skype
View Single Post
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 15:09   #24
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: Skype

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
i looked at Asterix earlier but I think I'm going to go with Skype as it's pretty much hassle free and works quite well, i spoke to queball earlier today <3 plus you can easily just chat with anyone on skype rather than go through the fun of getting them hooked up to your pbx
You can talk with anyone on VOIP too thanks to the magic of DNS and SVR/ENUM records, all you need to know is the address (e.g. sip:[email protected]) and be able to enter it (not so easy on a numeric phone keypad but OpenEnum is providing a way to do this while the rest of the world argues over the politics of the spec). Unfortunately Skype doesn't and (as I understand it) can't be made to work with SIP and as SIP is pretty much the standard for 'real' VOIP I think Skype will lose out eventually.

Of course, having your internal phone directory data pulled directly from Exchange using LDAP is also a rather cool feature of the more mainstream systems (does Skype do this? It shouldn't be too hard to implement in the client).
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote