View Single Post
Unread 17 Apr 2014, 11:25   #9
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold
Re: Reduce Alliance tag from 65 to 55 max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar View Post
Spore is one of the newest alliances in the game, in only a handful of rounds we have got to the position we are in. We started from nothing, just myself returning and dragging Zhil back with me, since then it has been a combination of hard work and genius by people within the alliance that has got us to where we are, not the fact that this round is a 65 member limit. Sooner or later, people need to stop blaming game mechanics for them not being able to win and start instead looking to themselves and where they can improve to close the gap.
I think you mistook nicolos post as an attack on spore, i don't believe it was. I think he is merely pointing out that if/when an alliance has 10 members and 30 fleets more than any of their main competitors from the get go it causes an extremely unbalanced situation.

We once went down from 80 to 60 members because the amount of alliances that were involved in the political meta-game was too limited which led to rounds that were stale and predictable. Lowering definitely increased the amount of alliances that had an impact. This didn't mean rounds became less boring in the meta game tho, they just became less predictable. Take round 49 for example, it was TGV that tilted the meta game in favour of FAnG at pt900. Before that the round was a rather boring stalemate between 2 blocks, where neither could really break the other. A somewhat similar role was entaled for Rock in r50, where it took a switch in sides, and a resulting lack of support because of said switch to give FAnG/ND/Ult the upper hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher View Post
Last round we had around 500 planets playing in established tags.
This round we have 600+ planets playing in established tags.
All tags must compete with each other on recruitment, just not in the game.
The fact that this rounds seems so boring is not due to Spore having 5 members more than the rest, its becasue the other alliances are lead by what looks to be generaly weak HCs that actualy WANTS this round to be boring.
The stats is also a huge reason for this round being so one sided so far.
This round we also have 3 additional tags. I honestly don't think the 100 extra players are players that were unallied last round. In fact, i am 100% certain at least 50 of them were players that had retired from this game within the past 10-15 rounds, and will most likely retire again after this round or the next. The simple fact not even an alliance like HR managed to get to full tag this round makes it obvious that those that were unallied before are still unallied, and that alliances are still fishing from the same pool of 800 alliance players that play this game on a semi-regular basis.

And while i somewhat agree that recruiting is part of the game, it isn't the beginning and end all of this game. The fact there is only 1 alliance that managed to go full tag this, and the fact they are leading are surely connected. Is it the only reason for Spore leading right now? Definitely not! They have also been blessed with a fortunate meta-game situation where everyone outright refused to help their main competitor, and they played that part of the hand they were given quite perfectly. There is still enough time for other alliances to try and play their hand tho. After all, just look at the gap bridged by Faceless last round.

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN

Last edited by Influence; 17 Apr 2014 at 11:31.
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote