View Single Post
Unread 13 Oct 2005, 14:41   #293
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stat changes for R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
I can see Caths using Fi/Co fleets to great effect. I don't think they've been nerfed. My main worry is that they're now weaker vs Fr, and Zik will get 0 loss stealing.
I don't really see how, like you said, the one thing they have to target, they are weaker against. Both Ter and Zik have FR anti-CO, and Cath and Xan have free killers. With ingal def (which last round most time messed up a CO attack fleet) being made ALOT easier with the EMP'ing Viper there is basicly an extremely small chance they get through. The main problem is they can't kill anything, thus why not defend against them? worst case you get no salvage / free new ships. And why add the Spider to the attack fleet? at best it stops only 1 possible defence ships (the arrowhead), it doesn't give them more targets, just a slightly better chance on getting no out of gal defence.

Quote:
I know the Cath Cr fleet isn't as effective because they can't hit Xan, but they can hit everyone else now. Tarantulas aren't the weakest ship, and if there's not enough ghosts to do even mild damage, Tarantulas have a habit of crushing them - a few people in the beta noticed this.
heh, i don't see Cathaar hit Terran personally. In all rounds i've played as Cathaar (and that is all rounds except for r7 & r10), i never even had to look at Terran targets, as their armour simply is WAY to high to bother EMP'ing it all. Remember that when hitting Terran you have to stun both the DE and BS fleet (which are the Terran attack classes and thus will be available in high quanteties), this means you can even hit a decent sized Terran for good gains and few losses. You have to EMP like 60-75% of a Terran his total fleet worth to get free roids, which is what emp is all about as you won't scare off defence like kill fleets do.

As for Tarantulas crushing Ghosts (in beta i might add, thus not really representing for a real round), that doesn't matter, fact is Ghosts fire first. I am not gonna lose half my CR fleet to to take roids and 'crush the defending Ghosts'. WIth these stats you have to focus on building a shitload of BW to get through on Terrans and Ziks (though ZIks will be relatively easy), Roach if you plan on hitting Terran. Which means you hardly will have enough Tarantula's to scare away Ghosts (that will be around in high numbers with everyone having r14 CR effectiveness in mind).

[edit]
To add to it.. Cathaar vs. Cathaar usually isn't an option, as the Scarabs will make it to easy to stop (init 1, disabling alot of the CR fleets firepower).
In r14 you could scare of Zik def and Terran def (to some extent) if you sent enough Tarantulas to do alot of damage to BS. This round there is nothing stopping them from defending, as they only get stunned (helloooo free stealing for Rogues \o/). Yes it is resource expensive to do, but as a last resort it won't be uncommon. All you have to do is deal enough damage to make it not worth for the attacker to land, and most ships can do that for free now.

Last round the CR focus was on a ship that wasn't in a normal attack fleet. The Peacekeeper wasn't a Xan podclass, thus not build alot at the start as it hampered Xan's growth to build alot of them (later attack fleets became of decent size, thus more resources available for def ships). Now they have to battle attack-class ships only, and those WILL be around in high numbers.
[/edit]

What these stats do is make it harder (or alot more expensive) for Cathaar to take roids, while they will still have their open invitation to almost any attacking fleet combo seeing they (mostly) EMP instead of kill. This means you get r13 all over again, reasonable roiding fleets, but no way to rebuild from the losses you sustain as you will have everyone just waiting inline to take the last 3 roids you have.

Last edited by Wandows; 13 Oct 2005 at 14:55.
Wandows is offline   Reply With Quote