View Single Post
Unread 11 Dec 2008, 13:40   #1
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Weathering a storm

By the looks of it the last few rounds, what makes or breaks a winning alliance is the ability to survive being attacked (Note, I'm not saying planet-targeted) by several other alliances for a while. I'm a bit curious as to what peoples thoughts on how to get through something like this, and still be in a winning position, is.

I can't remember where I read this, but I seem to recall someone saying that it was probably a bad idea to planet-target one of the attacking alliances, instead concentrating on efficient (As in profitable) raids, and good defense. I find myself disagreeing here because I honestly believe that hitting back hard is more likely to make the attacking alliance reconsider, and start doing something else, but I'm no expert on military strategy.

I genuinely think though, that the most important thing here is morale. Looking back on the rounds I've played this game, what separates the winning alliances from the others is generally a confidence that they will win, that most alliances don't have. Keeping up morale in your memberbase while being attacked by many alliances can be a hard thing, but efficient defense is likely to make the other alliances morale suffer a lot too. In Ascendancy, I think our biggest advantage is simply efficient defense (Read: A JBG that never seems to run out of energy and will to save our asses).

It seems pretty obvious that it's easier to make your opponents get tired of attacking you, than utterly destroying their planets, so I guess any strategy to get out of a situation like the one I described should base itself on this. What's the best way to do that? What have alliances chosen to do in the past?

Essentially, what I want to discuss is what it takes to get through say, a week, of constant attack by many alliances.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote