View Single Post
Unread 26 Feb 2016, 15:28   #21
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Alliance limits 40/60 split

I've tidied up the thread a bit to remove unnecessary conversation and tried to keep the slightly more civil comments.

My only comments to make about the 90% rule:

1) Do scanners scale linearly with alliance size? My initial feeling was no, but I guess alliance of 20 having 2 hardcore scanners vs alliance of 60 having 6 hardcore scanners... It may be that it's right, but it feels like once you have 2 you probably won't end up with many more than 2-3 smaller scanner / covert op planets. I'm sure those with more history can comment on this better, though.

2) I was going to comment on the maths itself but I misread a couple of times. The only thing I would say is that the formula doesn't really cover the <=10 condition very well unless you take ceil(#planets * 0.9) - which is a fair enough approach but usually not the one Planetarion takes in this sort of situation. If we amend the formula to include this, then I would agree with the formula being viable.

It's certainly an interesting approach, but I would say it actually makes it a much more interesting decision about whether to have more than 40 people or not, as adding people lower than your average actually harms the alliance score. With this being the case, I can see towards the end of the round people will kick people from their alliance so they get down to the 40 or so people with the best scores - I assume scores are linear enough that dropping below 40 will cause a score decrease.

With this being the case, I'd probably choose n=50 and keep the actual limit at 60 if I were to go with this. Seem reasonable?